What is functional medicine?
· Functional Medicine is a biological systems approach to chronic health problems.
· It is based on biochemical individuality and the interaction between genes and the environment.
· It emphasizes dietary and lifestyle changes not just for prevention of chronic diseases but also for treatment of those conditions.
· Dietary and lifestyle changes are recommended by many major medical organizations.
· Dietary and lifestyle changes will be recommended as the basis of treatment.
· Making healthy food changes for many people will require a willingness to decrease the amount of animal based foods and increase the daily amounts of plant based foods in their diet.
· This will also require some basic food preparation in the kitchen and new shopping patterns.